Case Study: Maximising Operations and Manufacturing at BluGlass
The Client wanted to incorporate its new technology of remote plasma chemical vapour deposition (RPCVD) into its existing facility in Sydney, so they would be able to support the rapidly growing market for better-performing, lower-cost and more environmentally sustainable LEDs.
The project required extensive design, fabrication and installation of the following equipment and services into their existing warehouse:
- Two nano reactor clean rooms
- One mezzanine platform
- One 7000L liquid nitrogen vessel and vaporizing station
- All associated water chilling and heating services
- All electrical service upgrades
- All interconnecting high-purity gas lines (hydrogen, ammonia, nitrogen and compressed air)
- All interconnecting exhaust pipework and extraction fans, located on the ceiling and which included gas scrubbing units
Originally, Scale Up Partners, in collaboration with OSP, were asked to quote only on the supply, installation and commissioning of gas services and electrical upgrades; however, the Client’s project team became increasingly concerned about taking sole responsibility for overall project management, which included the challenge of finding reputable suppliers and contractor groups to design and execute various aspects of the project. They wanted to find a company that had the skills and experience to deliver the project and understood how to sequence the works in the most optimal way to deliver quality results, whilst keeping overall costs within their available spend budget.
We were awarded gas and electrical services, plus the mezzanine and the cleanrooms. The Client then asked us to design and quote the full water chilling and heating services, which we were awarded, along with significant sections of the building’s HVAC upgrades.
- Designing and specifying room services fit-out, including general room lighting, emergency lighting, room GPO connection points, security access swipe system, and air conditioning control systems
- Designing emergency egress pathways and alternative stairways from the mezzanine section
- Upgrading the site’s nitrogen control station and interconnecting pipework
- Designing and supplying gas abatement (the filtration system for poisonous gas discharges from the nano reactors), including a new filtration unit mounted on the roof section and all interconnecting extraction pipework.
- Supplying, fabricating and commissioning of the tooling pipework for the nano reactor tooling modules that were used within the nano reactors themselves.
There were zero safety incidents, zero reportable incidents and minimal variations charged back to the client.